Sunday 24 February 2013

The Rusty Floor

Since the floor was still quite pitted after blasting I gave it two coats of this stuff:


It is a moisture curing urethane. It reacts with the moisture in the atmosphere to form a very hard coating. It is a cheaper alternative to another product known as POR15 that is very popular amongst classic car restorers. The data sheet is here. You really need to read the instructions because this stuff sets like iron and if you put the lid back on the tin with paint on the lip it is sealed for good. You need disposable brushes; I picked up some from the same place that sold the paint  for a few cents each. They recommend you use the whole can at once but since this was impractical I made a temporary plastic lid with a hole to keep the top of the tin clean. When finished I resealed the can with two layers of food-wrap between the lid and the can. I guess I'll find out if that has worked next time I need it!

This stuff is quite expensive at around $65 per litre so I only painted the heavily pitted areas and the seams. After two coats it looked like this:




The coating cures very hard and very shiny. It is degraded by sunlight so for areas that may be effected it can be over coated with just about any paint. This needs to be done within 4-6 hours. If you leave it longer they recommend you rough the urethane up with some 600 grit paper.

I put on two coats during the morning and then later in the afternoon sprayed it with the two pack epoxy primer that I described in a previous post (Interbond 373).



No comments:

Post a Comment