Sunday 9 August 2015

Clutch conversion part 1

I did some work on converting the clutch to include an air servo.

The original clutch mechanism was simply a bar joining the pedal to the release lever and was fiendishly heavy: you had to brace yourself against the seatback to move it. I picked up a new air servo on ebay some time ago; I think it's a Man Diesel part


This servo is operated by hydraulics so the pedal needs to activate a master cylinder instead of the old push rod.

I picked up a master cylinder and clevis from these people carbuildersolutions.com


This has (I think) a bore and stroke that will match the servo.

The original clutch pedal needed bending slightly in the vise and thinning down to accept the clevis. I reamed the hole out to 7/16"


and made a brass bushing for the clevis pin


Quite a milestone actually because it is just about the first successful thing I have made on my lathe!

The spring loaded 'captive' pin for the clevis is a really neat idea: mush easier than messing about with split pins.


So flushed with success I made a steel pushrod complete with 5/16" UNF thread cut on the lathe (woohoo!)


The whole thing sits on the truck like this



I'm not sure that I have the pedal stroke correct but it will be good enough to get started. It's difficult to tell without the cab on and the other pedal fitted and so on.





No comments:

Post a Comment