Sunday 5 January 2014

Back to the cab

With the panels painted I stored them away and fetched the cab back into the workshop.


The next task is to replace the rusty, dented front panel with the one that I cut off the old cab and repaired. The existing panel is rusty all along the lower front edge and it has a dent in one corner that has thrown up a crease. I could not see an easy way to pull the corner out so I decided to replace the whole panel.


The 'new' panel is rust-free but has plenty of repair work so it will take quite a bit of work to make it look reasonable. I wish I had bought this one that was on eBay a few months ago...



2 comments:

  1. Hi, nice blog! Im in the same business, restoring a TK -70 in northern Sweden. My restoration is however not as ambitious as the one in this blog. "Just" fixing the rust, brakes, electrical system, painting, etc to get it into nice working conditions. Even that takes a few hours.. A few things worries me: 1.Tyres. Dont understand how to convert the old dimension system into something modern. Need 6 new and current (old dimensions) says 8.25 R 16. Car model is KDLC / 5 / 70. Takes 4550 kg. Swedish tyre companies just shake their heads. Tips appreciated 2.If on inspection something should show up to be wrong with steering/front car rods / joints (dont know English words), were to find new parts? On your blog you seem to be purchasing every new detail you need. Hard to find in Sweden. Greatful for any tips on were to buy NOS (new old stock) parts..Best regards / Lars Sundblad / mail: lars-goran.sundblad@skogforsk.se phone: 0046706616482

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lars. On the Parts and Suppliers tab of the blog are a couple of links to people I have bought parts from. Rob, in the UK is helpful and knowledgeable and has all the parts books so I'm sure he could help you out.

      As far as tyres go, I am puzzled that the suppliers in Sweden should have a problem. All the trucks I looked at, Japanese and European have imperial (not metric) tyres. You size is 8.25" inches wide on a 16 inch rim: a very common tyre.

      Delete