Monday 29 July 2013

Patching sheet metal.

After blasting I found rust holes on both the inner and outer skins of the first door. Using a 1mm cutting disc I removed the damaged area. I left the edge of the door in place because it seemed sound and because it is formed around a radius which would have been difficult (for me) to repeat.

Here is the hole I cut together with the piece that came out. Repairing the rusty inner parts of the door would have meant much more cutting and I'm not sure of the benefit. After a bit of head-scratching I blasted it clean and gave it a coat of the rust paint.








I used the damaged cut-out as a template for a new piece of 18 swg steel. The welding magnet does a great job of holding the the patch flush with the surface.









Out with the trusty MIG and a grinder fitted with a flap-wheel and a result that I'm very satisfied with. It will take very little filler to finish that ready for paint


No comments:

Post a Comment